GAMES FROM JULY 7, 2018
Great pitching gave the Cubs Minor League four wins on Saturday, as South Bend continues to impress.
Low-A: Eugene Emeralds
Eugene 1, Hillsboro 5 (8-15, 4th Place)
- SS Nico Hoerner went 1-for-4 with his first-career home run in the 6th.
- LHP Brailyn Marquez pitched 4.0 solid innings, allowing four hits and a walk with four strikeouts. Marquez has allowed one earned run in each of his four starts this year.
Single-A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 4, Lansing 2 (9-8, T-4th Place)
- C Miguel Amaya went 3-for-4 with two doubles and a run scored.
- CF Zach Davis went 1-for-4 with an RBI.
- DH Michael Cruz went 1-for-4 and hit a two-run home run in the 6th.
- RF Brandon Hughes went 1-for-4 with a solo home run in the 9th.
- RHP Javier Assad found his groove again on Saturday, tossing 5.0 innings of scoreless baseball. Assad gave up just two hits and two walks over the stretch, while striking out two. He’s been quite solid this year up to last month but has started to look strong again in July.
High-A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 4, Buies Creek 2 (6-11, 5th Place)
- DH Jhonny Pereda went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- 3B Wladimir Galindo went 1-for-4 and hit a solo home run in the 9th.
- LHP Bryan Hudson got the win after another strong outing for Myrtle Beach. Hudson pitched 5 2/3 innings, giving up four hits and two earned runs. He walked three but struck out three in the Pelicans win. Hudson has looked solid in July, with just two earned runs allowed in 9 2/3 innings pitched.
Double-A: Tennessee Smokies
G1: Tennessee 1, Jackson 0
G2: Tennessee 3, Jackson 1 (11-5, 1st Place)
- 2B Trent Giambrone went a combined 2-for-7 with two RBI and a double. He drove in the game-winning run in both games of the doubleheader.
- 3B Jesse Hodges went 2-for-3 with a double in game two.
- SS Zack Short went 1-for-3 with a triple.
- RHP Keegan Thompson threw 5.0 innings of scoreless baseball in game one, picking up the win. Thompson allowed just three hits and two walks along with two strikeouts. With the shutout, Thompson hasn’t allowed an earned run in his last 11 1/3 innings.
Triple-A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 3, Nashville 5 (31-56, 4th Place)
- 1B Bijan Rademacher went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- CF Trey Martin went 2-for-4 with two singles.
- 3B Jason Vosler went 1-for-4, extended his hitting streak to 12 games.
- RHP Jen-Ho Tseng had 5.0 strong innings of work despite taking the loss for Iowa. Tseng gave up three hits and three earned runs with one walk while striking out seven for the I-Cubs. He’s now struck out 14 in the last 10.0 innings pitched.
In Other News:
- RHP Rollie Lacy and 1B Jared Young were both promoted to Myrtle Beach after performing well at South Bend. Lacy is 4-1 this year with a 2.02 ERA and 1.04 WHIP in ten starts. He went 2-0 with a 0.78 ERA last month and tossed a no-hitter on June 6th. Young just won the Cubs Minor League Player of the Month award, after batting .340 with 27 RBI in June.