GAMES FROM JULY 4, 2018
The Cubs Minor League continues to be a roller coaster going up and down with events. Everybody lost on Wednesday, except for Iowa who finally snaps their losing skid. Still, every level managed to have great prospect performances which it’s all about.
Low-A: Eugene Emeralds
Eugene 2, Boise 11 (7-13, 4th Place)
- LF Kwang-Min Kwon went 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- 2B Luis Diaz went 2-for-5 with an RBI, extending his hitting streak to four games.
Single-A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 2, Bowling Green 5 (7-7, T-4th Place)
- DH Christian Donahue went 1-for-3 with a double and run scored.
- CF Zach Davis went 1-for-3 with an RBI and run scored.
- RF Brandon Hughes went 2-for-6 with two runs scored. Hughes has recorded a hit in 18 of his last 20 games.
High-A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 3, Buies Creek 4 (5-9, 5th Place)
- 3B P.J. Higgins went 2-for-4 with a double, run scored and RBI.
- CF D.J. Wilson went 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored.
- RHP Erick Leal had a very nice outing, resulting in a no-decision for the Pelicans. Leal went 5.0 innings allowing just a hit with one walk while striking out two. Leal has now allowed two earned runs or less in each of his four starts this season.
Double-A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 8, Jackson 9 (8-5, T-1st Place)
- RF Jeffrey Baez went 1-for-5 with a two-run homer.
- LF Charcer Burks reached three times, going 1-for-3 with a run and two walks.
- RHP Michael Rucker had a decent performance, also earning a no-decision for Tennessee. Rucker lasted only 4.0 innings, allowing six hits but no earned runs with three walks and five strikeouts. Wednesday was not Rucker’s best performance of the year, but he was solid enough to strike out five in a short span.
Triple-A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 6, Nashville 2 (30-54, 4th Place)
- 3B Jason Vosler went 1-for-5 with a three-run homer in the fifth inning.
- 2B Chesny Young went 3-for-5 with a run scored and RBI.
- RF Jacob Hannemann went 2-for-3 with a run scored and walk.
- RHP Alec Mills tossed his sixth quality start this year, with a good enough performance to earn the win. Mills went 6.0 innings, allowing only two earned runs while striking out five. He did not walk any batters in his nice rebound from the past couple starts.