GAMES FROM JULY 1, 2018
Sunday was another great day from the Cubs farm system, with three wins and a series sweep.
Low-A: Eugene Emeralds
G1: Eugene 3, Everett 1
G2: Eugene 2, Everett 1 (7-10, 4th Place)
- SS Nico Hoener went a combined 3-for-4 with a triple, RBI, two runs scored, two walks and two stolen bases in the two games. Hoerner is 4-for-8 with two walks in three games with Eugene.
- CF Fernando Kelli went 1-for-2 with a double, walk and run scored in game two.
- DH Nelson Velazquez hit a solo homer in game one.
- LHP Brailyn Marquez started and earned the win after a quality start. Marquez went 6.0 innings, giving up just two hits, a run, and one walk while striking out eight. Marquez in three starts this year has allowed just one earned run each time. He’s 1-1 with a 2.08 ERA and 1.00 for Eugene.
- RHP Paul Richan made his Cubs debut in game two, earning the start. Richan pitched just two innings but was extremely efficient. Richan gave up one hit and struck out five.
Single-A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 2, Dayton 5 (6-5, 4th Place)
- LF Jared Young went 2-for-5 with a double.
- RF Brandon Hughes went 2-for-4 with an RBI, his second-straight multi-hit game.
- 1B Austin Filiere went 2-for-4 with a run scored, his second-straight multi-hit game.
High-A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 6, Potomac 1 (3-8, 5th Place)
- RF Luis Ayala went 3-for-4 with a run scored.
- SS Aramis Ademan went 2-for-5 with two RBI.
- DH Jhonny Pereda went 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI.
- LHP Bryan Hudson tossed 4.0 scoreless innings of baseball, allowing three hits and four walks with two strikeouts. Hudson for the first time this year pitched a shutout for Myrtle Beach.
Double-A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 5, Chattanooga 3 (6-4, T-1st Place)
- C Ian Rice went 2-for-4 with two doubles, one run, and one RBI.
- RF Eddy Martinez went 1-for-3 with a solo homer, two runs scored and a walk.
- RHP Duncan Robinson had yet another quality start in the Smokies win over Chattanooga. Robinson went 6.0 innings, allowing six hits and one earned run while walking two and striking out six. He now has four straight quality starts and has allowed three earned runs or less in 9 of his last 10 starts.
Triple-A: Iowa Cubs
G1: Iowa 2, Memphis 13
G2: Iowa 1, Memphis 6 (29-52, 4th Place)
- LF Mark Zagunis went 1-for-4 with a double and RBI in game one and 1-for-1 with a double in game two.
- C Victor Caratini went 1-for-4 with a run in game one and 1-for-3 with a walk and run in game two.
- LHP Kyle Ryan tossed 3.0-scoreless innings in game one, allowing just two hits and striking out five batters.