The Cubs were off on Thursday but the Cubs Minor League was in full action minus Eugene who’s season starts today. It was an overall mixed day with the four main affiliates splitting 2-2 with great prospect performances all around.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 2, Dayton 0
- Jared Young: 2 for 4, 2 RBI
- Christian Donahue: 2 for 5, 1 R
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 2 for 4
- Erich Uelmen: 6 2/3 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
34-32, 3rd Place in Midwest League Eastern Division
Jesus Camargo is the scheduled starter for Friday’s series opener against Lansing at 7:05 PM Eastern.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 1, Carolina 4
- Luis Ayala: 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- P.J. Higgins: 1 for 3, 1 BB
- Keegan Thompson: 7.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 SO
33-33, 4th Place in Carolina League Southern Division
Tyson Miller is the scheduled starter for Friday’s game against Carolina at 7:05 PM Eastern.
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 5, Montgomery 4 F/10
- Ian Rice: 2 for 3, HR, 1 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB
- Trey Martin: 2 for 5, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Michael Rucker: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 SO
35-32, T-2 Place in Southern League North Division
Duncan Robinson is the scheduled starter for Friday’s game against Montgomery at 7:00 PM Eastern.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 4, Reno 11
- David Bote: 2 for 4, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Jacob Hannemann: 1 for 4, HR, 1 R, 2 RBI
- Taylor Davis: 1 for 2, 2 R, 1 BB
25-39, 4th Place in Pacific Coast League American Northern Division
Jen-Ho Tseng is the scheduled starter for Friday’s series finale against Reno on Wednesday at 10:05 PM ET.
The DSL #1 Cubs best the DSL #2 Rays 8-3. Jorge Remon went five innings, allowing two hits and no earned runs. Remon walked one and struck out four.
The DSL #2 Cubs fell to the DSL #2 D-Backs 6-2. Widimer Joaquin went 2 for 3 with one run batted in.
- Erich Uelmen turned a fantastic start in South Bend, picking up his fifth win this year. Uelmen went 6 2/3 innings, allowing six hits and no earned runs with zero walks and five strikeouts. Uelmen was dominant on Thursday not allowing a run for his second straight game. It was not nearly impressive as his four-hit, nine-strikeout performance his last time out, but Uelmen earned the quality start.
- Keegan Thompson pitched seven perfect innings for Myrtle Beach, despite a no-decision. Thompson obviously didn’t allow a hit, run, or walk in his seven frames with eight strikeouts. When he was pulled after 84 pitches, Myrtle Beach’s bullpen imploded taking away the win from Thompson. Still, Thompson lowers his ERA to 3.19 and WHIP to 0.92.
- Wrapping up the day in the farm system, Ian Rice hit a 10th-inning walk-off home run for Tennessee that propelled the Smokies to a 5-4 win over Montgomery. Down 4-3 heading into the bottom of the tenth with two outs, Rice delivered the home run to center field that gave the Smokies the amazing win. Rice has been solid this year, batting .275 with now 3 homers and 16 RBI.