After a 1-0 loss for the Cubs on Wednesday, there’s some good news from the farm system with the main teams splitting the day 2-2 including some great prospect performances.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 1, Dayton 2
- Delvin Zinn: 2 for 4
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 2 for 5
- Tyler Thomas: 4 2/3 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO
33-32, 3rd Place in Midwest League Eastern Division
Erich Uelmen is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s series finale against Dayton at 7:05 PM Eastern.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 2, Winston-Salem 3
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 3, 1 RBI
- Luis Ayala: 2 for 3, 1 R
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 4, 1 R
33-32, 4th Place in Carolina League Southern Division
Keegan Thompson is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s series opener against Carolina at 7:05 PM Eastern.
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 6, Montgomery 4
- Trent Giambrone: 2 for 3, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI
- Trey Martin: 2 for 5, 1 RBI
- Daniel Spingola: 1 for 2, 2 R, 1 BB
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 BB
34-32, 4th Place in Southern League North Division
Mike Rucker is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s game against Montgomery at 7:00 PM Eastern.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 8, Reno 7
- Taylor Davis: 2 for 4, 3 RBI, 1 BB
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 5, 1 R, 2 RBI
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 5, 3 R
- Mark Zagunis: 2 for 5, 1 R
25-38, 4th Place in Pacific Coast League American Northern Division
Duane Underwood is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s game against Reno on Wednesday at 10:05 PM ET.
The DSL #1 Cubs were blown out by the DSL Dodgers Gurrero 21-4. Rochest Cruz went 2 for 5.
The DSL #2 Cubs fell to the DSL #2 Mets 9-6. Brailin Pena went 2 for 3 with one run scored, one run batted in, and two walks.
- Tyler Thomas had another nice outing for the South Bend Cubs on Wednesday. Thomas went 4 2/3 innings because of a pitch limit (returning from the DL last week), allowing just two hits and one walk with six strikeouts. Thomas did give up two earned runs when his pitch count was high but those two were the bad pitches of his start. Otherwise, Thomas was very successful in his second game back.
- Trent Giambrone had a big day for the Smokies in their 6-4 win over Montgomery. Giambrone went 2 for 3 from the plate with a two-run homer, triple, two runs scored, and three runs batted in. His home run marked number seven on the year as Giambrone continues to heat up. Giambrone is batting .371 in his last ten games, going 13 for 35.
- Eugene’s season is now just one day away with their opener set for Friday at 10:05 PM ET. Some of the announced names for their roster include Jose Albertos, Nelson Velazquez, Luis Aquino, Casey Ryan, among others. Notable draft picks like Nico Hoerner, Brennen Davis and others will also start out here soon.