The Cubs Minor League split Thursday’s game 2-2 including series sweeps from South Bend and Myrtle Beach.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 6, Fort Wayne 1
- Jared Young: 2 for 4, HR, 1 R, 3 RBI
- Brandon Hughes: 1 for 3, HR, 1 R, 3 RBI
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4
- Tyler Thomas: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
29-29, T-4 Place in Midwest League Eastern Division
Erich Uelmen is the scheduled starter for Friday’s series opener against West Michigan at 7:05 PM Eastern.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 4, Buies Creek 2
- Aramis Ademan: 2 for 4, HR, 2 R, 1 RBI
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 5, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 4, 1 RBI
- Cory Abbott: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO
30-29, 4th Place in Carolina League Southern Division
Keegan Thompson is the scheduled starter for Friday’s series opener against Salem at 7:05 PM Eastern.
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 5, Jackson 6
- Ian Rice: 2 for 4, 2 RBI
- Yasiel Balaguert: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB
- Trey Martin: 1 for 4, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB
31-29, T-3 Place in Southern League North Division
A TBD pitcher will start in Friday’s series opener against Birmingham at 7:00 PM Eastern.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 1, Albuquerque 3
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 4
- Efren Navarro: 2 for 4
- Victor Caratini: 2 for 4
- Daury Torez: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
23-35, 4th Place in Pacific Coast League American Northern Division
Duane Underwood is the scheduled starter for Friday’s series opener against El Paso at 8:08 PM Eastern.
The DSL #1 Cubs beat the DSL #1 Rangers 8-2. First baseman Ervis Marchan was 2 for 5 with one run scored and two runs batted in.
The DSL #2 Cubs fell to the DSL #2 Rangers 11-10. Left fielder Brailin Pena was 2 for 5 with two runs scored and one run batted in.
- Tyler Thomas started and made his return off the Disabled List for South Bend. Thomas pitched four innings of scoreless baseball, giving up just two hits and a walk with two strikeouts in the Cubs win. Not reaching the fifth inning because of his pitch count, Thomas earned a no-decision. Thomas has been dominant this year, posting a 2.62 ERA and 1.01 WHIP in 9 games.
- Cory Abbott made his High-A debut fresh off being named the Cubs Minor League Pitcher of the Month just a few short days after he was promoted. Abbott pitched six strong innings picking up the win, allowing three hits and two earned runs with two walks and eight strikeouts. His first start with Myrtle Beach was a quality start, so it’s safe to say nothing changes for Abbott with how he’s been dominating this year.
- Wrapping up the night, Daury Torrez provided four solid innings for Iowa making the start in place of the scratched Kyle Ryan. Torrez gave up only one hit and one walk and struck out one in his first start this year. Out of the bullpen and his start tonight, Torrez has a 3.51 ERA and 1.21 WHIP for Iowa.