It’s another undefeated day in the Cubs Minor League system! South Bend, Myrtle Beach, Tennessee, and Iowa all beat their opponents on Friday for the third sweep in just the past week. Not only did the teams shine, so did the prospects.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 5, Clinton 1
- Brandon Hughes: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Miguel Amaya: 1 for 2, 1 RBI, 2 BB
- Jhonny Bethencourt: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 BB
- Brendon Little: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 5 SO
14-17, 6th Place in Midwest League Eastern Division
Rollie Lacy is the scheduled starter for Saturday’s game against Clinton at 7:05 PM Eastern.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 9, Buies Creek 6
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 4, 1 R, 3 RBI
- Andruw Monasterio: 2 for 5, 1 R, 2 RBI
- Jhonny Pereda: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Connor Myers: 2 for 3, 2 R, 1 BB
14-21, 5th Place in Carolina League Southern Division
Jose Paulino is the scheduled starter for Saturday’s game against Buies Creek at 6:05 PM Eastern.
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 7, Jacksonville 2
- Trent Giambrone: 2 for 5, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI
- Zack Short: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Will Remillard: 2 for 4, 1 RBI
- Mike Rucker: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
19-15, T-2 Place in Southern League North Division
Trevor Clifton is the scheduled starter for Saturday’s series opener against Chattanooga at 7:15 PM Eastern.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 5, Omaha 3
- Mike Freeman: 2 for 4, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Efren Navarro: 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Bijan Rademacher: 1 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Chesny Young: 1 for 1, 2 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB
- Duane Underwood: 6 2/3 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
11-22, T-3 Place in Pacific Coast League American Northern Division
Luke Farrell is the scheduled starter for Saturday’s series opener against Round Rock at 8:08 PM Eastern.
- Brendon Little finally had the start we all knew he was capable of for South Bend. Little settled down and pitched five innings allowing only two hits and zero runs with five strikeouts picking up his 2nd win this year. Little has struggled to this date, but finally flashed the potential the Cubs saw before drafting him.
- Mike Rucker had a phenomenal start for Tennessee with a quality start. Rucker pitched six innings allowing just one hit and zero earned runs with one walk and nine strikeouts in the Smokies win. He set a new season-high in strikeouts and new season-lows in hits, earned runs, and innings pitched. Safe to say it was an excellent performance from Rucker.
- Duane Underwood also looked very strong on the mound for Iowa, picking up the win. Underwood went 6 2/3 innings allowing only three and no earned runs with three walks and three strikeouts. He shutout an opponent for the fourth time this season and has strung together back-to-back quality starts. Underwood is on fire right now.