The Cubs Minor League Affiliates had another great chance of sweeping the day with a perfect 4 wins, but Tennessee and Myrtle Beach each fell in 10 innings as the system combined to go 2-2. Despite that, it was an incredible night for pitching in the Cubs Farm System.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 4, Burlington 2
- Miguel Amaya: 2 for 4, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Austin Filiere: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB
- Rafael Narea: 1 for 4, RBI
- Brendan King: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
13-16, 6th Place in Midwest League Eastern Division
Javier Assad is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s series opener against Clinton at 7:05 PM Eastern.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 2, Down East 4
- P.J. Higgins: 2 for 5, 1 R
- Wladimir Galindo: 1 for 3, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Bryan Hudson: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 SO
13-20, 5th Place in Carolina League Southern Division
Alex Lange is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s series opener against Buies Creek at 7:05 PM Eastern.
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 2, Jacksonville 3
- Yasiel Balaguert: 1 for 4, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Carlos Penalver: 1 for 4, 1 R
- Thomas Hatch: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 9 SO
17-15, 3rd Place in Southern League North Division
Oscar De La Cruz is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s game at 7:05 PM Eastern.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 4, Omaha 2
- Ali Solis: 3 for 4, 1 R, 2 RBI
- Ryan Court: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Efren Navarro: 2 for 5, 1 RBI
- Alec Mills: 6 2/3 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO
10-21, 4th Place in Pacific Coast League American Northern Division
Adbert Alzolay is the scheduled starter for Thursday’s game at 7:35 PM Eastern.
- Bryan Hudson had a game of near perfection for Myrtle Beach with another strong performance on the mound. Hudson went six innings allowing just three hits and an earned run with zero walks and five strikeouts for a quality start. For the Cubs Breakout Prospect of the Year prediction, before the season started, Hudson is on his way to achieving that feat.
- Thomas Hatch with Tennessee tossed his second quality start of the year and seventh game with under three earned runs allowed on Wednesday. Hatch went for seven innings, allowing seven hits and two earned runs with one walk and nine strikeouts. He has given up seven hits in back-to-back games but that should be no concern, with a 9.55 K/9 over his last two starts.
- Finally rounding out the strong pitching, Alec Mills had a strong performance for the Iowa Cubs on Wednesday. Mills pitched seven innings, giving up seven hits and two earned runs with two walks and seven strikeouts, picking up his first win this year. Incredibly, this was Mills third start this season going into the seventh inning and fourth performance allowing under three earned runs. It’s been a solid stretch over the past few weeks for Mills.