On a day Cubs fans were bummed about the 8-6 major league loss, there is some fantastic news from the farm system. All four teams won the day after all four teams lost! Talk about a turn of events in one day.
Low A: South Bend Cubs
South Bend 9, Peoria 7
- Jared Young: 3 for 5, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI
- Yeiler Peguero: 3 for 4, 2 R, 1 RBI
- Chris Singleton: 2 for 3, 1 R
- Austin Filiere: 1 for 5, HR, 1 R, 1 RBI
10-15, 7th Place in Midwest League Eastern Division
Cory Abbott is the scheduled starter for Sunday’s series finale at 3:00 PM Eastern.
High A: Myrtle Beach Pelicans
Myrtle Beach 2, Lynchburg 1
- Jhonny Pereda: 2 for 4, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Austin Upshaw: 2 for 4, 1 RBI
- Wladimir Galindo: 3 for 5
- Matt Swarmer: 6 2/3 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 7 SO
12-17, 5th Place in Carolina League Southern Division
Jose Paulino is the scheduled starter for Sunday’s series finale at 2:00 PM Eastern.
Double A: Tennessee Smokies
Tennessee 3, Birmingham 1
- Zack Short: 1 for 3, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Jeffery Baez: 1 for 3, 1 R, 1 BB
- Charcer Burks: 1 for 4, 1 R
- Oscar De La Cruz: 5 2/3 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 10 SO
14-14, 3rd Place in Southern League North Division
Mike Rucker is the scheduled starter for Sunday’s series finale at 2:00 PM Eastern.
Triple A: Iowa Cubs
Iowa 7, Round Rock 3
- David Bote: 2 for 4, HR, 2 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Efren Navarro: 2 for 5, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Jacob Hannemann: 2 for 3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Mike Freeman: 1 for 5, 1 R, 2 RBI
6-21, 4th Place in Pacific Coast League American Northern Division
Duane Underwood is the scheduled starter for Sunday’s game at 2:05 PM Eastern.
- Jared Young had a nice day from the plate for South Bend once again. Young went 3 for 5 with his third home run in the last ten days along with two runs scored and three RBI. He’s batting a ridiculous .314/.375/.667 that continues to impress us every day.
- Matt Swarmer the organization’s pitcher of the month was lights out again with Myrtle Beach. Swarmer went for 6 2/3 innings, giving up just four hits and zero runs while striking out seven and picking up the win. On 89 pitches, he threw 61 strikes with just another dominant game. Swarmer improves to 3-2 this season with a 1.32 ERA and 1.02 WHIP.
- Oscar De La Cruz was absolutely filthy against Birmingham pitching a dominant performance. De La Cruz went for 5 2/3 innings, allowing just two hits and zero runs while walking three and striking out an incredible ten. He’s looked strong over his past two starts, picking up his second consecutive win.